Robert D. Maxwell
From a very young age I have been immersed, in one way or another, with ice hockey. Hockey instilled in me the core values of hard work, leadership, loyalty, and honesty — all qualities that I apply in the practice of law. The sport has also shown me the success that can be achieved through working together as a team. In my practice I approach every legal matter with a team mentality and strive to ensure that my clients understand that they are a critical part of the team; cooperation, understanding, and communication are key. Through a team approach, clear communication, and trust, it is my goal to help clients resolve any dispute and then minimize the risk going forward.
I strive to develop long-lasting client relationships by providing the upmost service, regardless of the size or complexity of the legal matter. I have represented clients on a wide variety of transactional matters including residential real property purchases and sales, residential and commercial leases, business purchase and sales, and business entity formation. I have also represented clients in litigation involving construction issues, contractual disputes, property disputes, landlord-tenant actions and evictions. I enjoy working with construction contractors, big and small, to help them navigate the complexities of the construction arena, whether through litigation or in drafting documents to help protect their interests.
Originally from Yakima Washington, I moved to Seattle in 2004 to attend the University of Washington. I graduated with a B.A. in Political Science in 2008 where I played for and captained the University of Washington Ice Hockey Team. I graduated from Seattle University School of Law in 2013 and have been practicing law in Seattle ever since.
When not working, I enjoy playing and coaching hockey, rock-climbing, mountain biking, surfing, sailing, and enjoying everything the Pacific Northwest has to offer. I live in Seattle with my wife in the Eastlake neighborhood.
- J.D., Seattle University School of Law
- B.A., University of Washington, Political Science
- Washington State Bar Association
- U.S. District Court – Western District of Washington
- Seattle Junior Hockey Association – Volunteer Coach
Recent Representative Matters
- Argued for, and received, a writ of restitution ordering a tenant unlawfully detaining a rental property to be removed and judgment for damages. The matter revolved around a verbal lease and family dispute, presenting a series of complex and challenging facts.
- Represented purchaser of residential property in Mercer Island, Washington with sale price of $2.2M.
- Represented seller of seven-unit apartment complex in Seattle, Washington with sale price of $1.15M.
- Negotiated and awarded favorable settlement after being involved in a collision with a vehicle while riding a bicycle.
- Represented estate creditor in contentious family dispute involving the need to liquidate real property in order to satisfy creditors’ claim. Negotiated and achieved favorable resolution of the matter for client.
- Contractual Dispute Litigation – in favor of client in complex residential contractual dispute involving concealment of defects in real property.
- Advised and represented client purchasing an interest in an established local corporation. Negotiated and drafted stock purchase agreement, revised shareholder agreement, and others documents ancillary to the purchase.