Jason L. Bergevin
Having grown up in a small town in Alaska, I understand the value of relationships. In my practice I value establishing long-term relationships with my clients. While we may meet in the context of a dispute, it is my goal to help you resolve that dispute and then work with you to minimize the risk going forward.
Over the years I have represented a wide variety of clients, from small contractors to large developers, from family-owned businesses to public corporations. I have represented every party to a construction dispute – owners, developers, general contractors, subcontractors, and members of the design team. In the commercial context, I have represented numerous small and medium-sized businesses in a variety of transactional and litigation matters. I am also experienced with bid protests before various state and federal entities. As my clients’ businesses have grown, my practice has grown with them to include work as general counsel, helping them with employment and HR issues. I have helped them address a variety of issues including drafting contracts and employment agreements, non-compete agreements, and employee handbooks.
After practicing in Alaska for 11 years, I moved to Seattle in 2010. I remain connected to Alaska through family, friends, and clients. I continue to represent clients in Alaska as I build my practice in Washington. I enjoy all that Seattle has to offer and am thankful to call it home. When I’m not helping my clients, I enjoy relaxing by spending the day in the kitchen cooking for my family and friends. I’ve even catered parties for as many as 175 people, which is somehow a relaxing respite from practicing law! I’ve also been a season subscriber to the Seattle Opera for more than ten years.
- J.D., Willamette University, College of Law
- B.A., University of Alaska, Anchorage, English and History
- Washington State Bar Association
- Alaska Bar Association
- U.S. District Court, District of Alaska
- U.S. District Court – Western District of Washington
- ARCADE – Board of Trustees, President (2017) (local design magazine that focuses on the built environment)
- Pride Foundation – Board of Directors, Resource Development Committee
- Gay and Lesbian Bar Association of Washington (Q-Law) – Judicial Evaluation Committee, Mentorship Program
- Washington State Bar Association – CLE Committee
Recent Representative Matters
- Draft employment contracts on behalf of a variety of employers.
- Revise and update employee handbooks for variety of businesses, including a Montessori school, recruiting company, and a commercial design firm.
- Negotiated successful exit from non-compete/non-solicitation for agent at local insurance brokerage.
- Defended a major Northwest developer in a condominium defect claim. Case settled for approximately one-quarter of the original demand.
- Successfully represented Alaskan distributor in claims against large-multinational corporation under Alaska’s revised distributorship statute.
- Counsel for steel erector subcontractor on $170M hospital replacement project. Settled claims with general contractor and fabricator on terms favorable to steel erector.
- Defended owner in construction claim related to construction of a passenger depot.
- Represented owner in claims and counterclaims arising from construction of two steel rail bridges.
- Successfully defended coating subcontractor against claims of defective coatings.
- Successfully defended civil contractor in claims arising from development of subdivision and construction of two roads.
- Representation of owner of automotive shop against claims of sexual harassment before the Alaska Human Rights Commission.
- Successfully challenged termination for default resulting in payment to contractor and conversion to termination for convenience.
- General Counsel for ongoing businesses and property development companies.
- Successfully represented local inventor in contract dispute over defective manufacturing. Secured personal guarantee of settlement.
- 3-D & Co. v. Tew’s Excavating, Inc., 258 P.3d 1036 (Alaska 2011)
- "Managing the Construction Project to Maximize Profit and Safety," presented by Lorman Education Services, May 2010
- ”Construction Projects 101: Laying the Groundwork” presented by Sterling Education Services, Inc., April 2016
- “Construction Law: From Design to Delivery” presented by Sterling Education Services, Inc., April 2017
- GSBA Business Literacy Series: Negotiating Contracts, July 2017
Negotiating Employment Contracts, July 2017